Friday, May 24, 2013

Summer Bucket List Link Up

Y'all, I know I have been a horrible blogger lately. I haven't posted in nearly a month. The end of the year has kicked my butt, busy at both work and home. Plus we had our first ever garage sale last Saturday that exhausted us so much and was a ton of work, but worth it as we walked around $300 richer :)

I want to get back into blogging about classroom activities and ideas and that's a goal for this summer (see list below), but until then, here's a fun link up on my summer bucket list.






1. Be more active on my blog. I LOVE blogging, especially about teaching ideas, but personal life and being busy at work got in the way recently. So my first goal this summer when I have the time since I WON'T be teaching is to blog a lot of the recent activities I've done in class, as well as some ideas I have for new ones.

2. Plan for my new class. We got our schedules for next year and I am teaching some repeats: College English, English IV, and Senior Lit, but I am picking up English III. I have taught ENG III once before for only one year and it was 4 years ago, so I am rusty on the curriculum. I want to do a LOT of work on that course this summer, since I am so comfortable with the others.

3. Work on Common Core. We are implementing next year and I have some meetings this summer with the ELA CC Committee. I want to start looking for some resources and new activities to use that are CC-aligned for next school year.

4. READ! I want to read lots and lots this summer. I have recently started reading voraciously again since work slowed down. I just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin and while it was chilling and disturbing, it was very interesting and eye-opening. I would definitely recommend it (not for students, but for you!) There is also a film adaptation that I watched half of last night and plan to finish this weekend.

5. Work with Roxie more on training. We start group class next week (yikes!) I don't know what I have said about our pup on here but she was abused early in life and forced to bear a little of 12 puppies when she wasn't even a year old. She then was abandoned outside of a kill shelter and was thankfully transferred to the no-kill shelter where we adopted her. She has a lot of fear issues with people, especially in or around our home and is skittish out in public. We have worked with a behaviorist at our house for the past 5 months, and she thinks Rox is ready for group class (led by her). So wish us luck!

6. Work out again. I was super active and really big into eating healthy a few years ago and lost 80 lbs in the process. Let's just say a lot of that weight found its way back on my body! I want to get a gym membership again, start tracking my food, and making it a goal to work out at least 4x/week. I have a really nice spin bike in my basement, so I have absolutely no excuse.

7. Do work around the house, especially small projects. We can't afford many huge projects right now. We are getting a privacy fence put in around part of our yard next month, and we want to get some landscaping done. I also want to get quotes on painting the exterior of our house, but that probably won't happen this year (we would paint it ourselves except it's two stories and both my husband and I are afraid of heights and ladders!). But there are many smaller projects I can do, both in and outside, and being alone all day while H is at work this summer, I can hopefully accomplish a lot.

8. And finally something fun: take a getaway to Chicago and spend more time with friends. Since we got our dog and then family issues arose a few months ago, we have hardly seen our friends. We have a wedding June 7 where we get to see some of them and I want to try to plan more fun activities with them. We also can't afford a big getaway this summer, but I would like to take a few days to go to Chicago (about 3 hours from us), since it is one of my favorite cities and there are many things we still have not done there.

So that's it! It may be a tall order to accomplish all of these, but I want to try. I always have such high expectations for summer and then end up being lazy, so I want to make sure I am productive this summer, with some relaxation still in the mix.

What's on your summer bucket list?

1 comment:

  1. I'm exhausted just reading your bucket list! You'll be quite busy this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete