Saturday, January 25, 2014

How to make up lost time?

In the month of January, we have been in school a total of 9 days. No, I did not miscount and that isn't a typo. NINE days.

We were supposed to start back January 6, which got pushed back by two snow days. Then we had a four-day weekend last week. Then we had two snow/cold weather days this past week, and will most likely get two more this upcoming week because of wind chills near -35.

I am so tired of seeing this on my commute to work (no, I did not take this pic; it is from a news station I follow on FB).



On top of all of this, we have to do MAP testing, which is a two-day test in English, so if we actually have school this week, two days will be devoted to that.

All of this to say, I am stressed. I have so much to get in, and most likely, my seniors won't have to make up these lost days. They're just gone. Which means I need to consider cutting some things from the curriculum this semester because I don't see how we can get it all done.

I feel so badly for my College English students. We are right in the middle of writing their first essay and every other day we aren't at school. It's so hard to do this with the writing process so disjointed. I keep having to push the due date back, too.

To make matters worse, I was already scheduled to visit a neighboring district this week to observe their technology/1:1 program and am headed to a Common Core assessment workshop on Feb. 5. I feel like I don't even have a job! My husband joked with me on Thursday, our second snow day this week, that I am an unemployed bum lately lol. I feel like it.

Is anyone else experiencing this horrid weather and an extensive amount of snow days? How are you handling it in the classroom? How do you decide what to cut and what to keep?

In happier news, we booked our trip to the Smoky Mtns. this summer, and I am JAZZED. We're staying in a private cabin in the mountains for five days and plan to explore the park and all it has to offer, going on hikes and driving all the back roads. A little time away from the hectic world and a chance to totally unplug will be nice. I can't wait to see this every day:

Our cabin
Beautiful Smoky Mountains
Everyone stay warm and safe in this treacherous winter weather!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry! I am not having that problem in San Diego, but I do understand your frustration. I hate when an essay writing deal falls over a break or weekend or gets short changed for some reason. Just do your best...everyone knows the snow is out of your control! :)
    Stephanie
    Tales of Teaching in Heels

    ReplyDelete